Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Forecast Calls For CONTESTS! G4 Ponies Anyone?

I had a rotten Black Friday experience last week, so of course it must be reported through plastic objects. If you're a fan of Monster High dolls, you'll probably doubly appreciate this one....Miss Ghoulia is the star. It's almost done..just a few more pics.

But I really showed up to let you guys know I am cooking up some CONTESTS!

::pauses to let you make excited hand gestures::

At the very least, they'll involve some Generation 1 My Little Ponies; collectors' speak for "Ponies you played with if you're a child of the 80s." But what I'm hoping for is to offer up a brand-spanking-new "Generation 4" Pony- these are the ponies that are the stars of The Hub's new MLP cartoon. I know a lot of people are looking for these, and so am I. Once I track them down, I'm thinking one of these new girls would be a great prize for a lucky reader, don't ya think?

Feel free to let me know your thoughts in the comments section of this entry. Like the idea of new ponies? Rather have them be old ones? Any thoughts on what kind of contest would be the most interesting? You can post anonymously if you'd like; you don't need to have a Google account or what have you to join in the conversation. I'm a geek for this kind of stuff so I'd love to discuss with y'all how this should come down.

2 comments:

  1. Hm...I have to say that I'm more interested in G1 at the moment, but I know a lot of people are looking for the G4s so if you were able to offer them - at least as an option - you'd probably get more participation. As far as the type of contest, I can give you a few suggestions based on what I've seen done before...

    - Plain old photo contest. Challenge your readers to take the best possible picture of MLP(s) or fakies. You can either pick the winner yourself or put it up to a vote.
    - Themed photo contest, possibly with multiple rounds. Challenge your readers to take the best possible picture of "MLP(s) in the snow," "the secret life of MLP," etc. Either pick the winner yourself or put it up to a vote.
    - Beauty pageant. Come up with a list of challenges - evening wear, talent, etc. - and have elimination rounds.
    - Picfic contest. It would probably be easier to judge if it were themed. Set min and max panel limits and challenge your readers to tell the best story.

    I realize these are all picture-related, but photos seem to me to be the best way for collectors to interact with each other and share their pony experiences. I suppose you could do a short fiction contest, no pictures involved, but my problem with that is that it could be about anything; we'd only know it was about ponies because the author said so. Anyway, I hope these ideas were helpful! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ~Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughts Bohemian! Your ideas were really helpful and I appreciate your post! I know people are out there reading but, like every blog and especially a new one, actually getting people to comment is difficult :)

    I don't think the G4s are going to be released here anytime soon so I'll just stick to G1. I would LOVE to do a photo contest and extend it to people who have other 80s toys too...they're fine as long as a pony of any generation is somewhere in the picture. You spurred my imagination a bit....what about "Your New Year's Resolution in Pictures Using Ponies"? I'm going to post that and see if I get any takers. No big hurry though, if I need more readers to make this a success, I can wait. :)

    ReplyDelete